Successful people have successful attitudes. They know that words are powerful and that verbal expression – inner or outer – is what instills purpose in our lives.
A recent blog by Marc Chernoff notes the power of words and their affects on our lives.
“[Words] can create or they can destroy. Even the small words you whisper under your breath can be the ones to hurt you, or save you. Your ability to write a happy life story hinges on your language,” said Chernoff.
Chernoff’s challenge is for everyone to choose their words wisely, and to stop using these eight phrases:
- “My goals and dreams can wait.” – Life is short. Start living your dream now. There is no time to waste.
- “I don’t have a choice.” – You always have a choice. Everything you do in life is choice, even choosing not to make a choice is a choice in itself. Own these decisions and stand behind them.
- “They are probably right, so I must be wrong.” – What is right for you may not be right for others and what is right for others may not be what is right for you. Your point of view is what makes you unique. Stand by it.
- “This sucks.” – While not every situation in life is ideal, a bad attitude never improved anything. It’s not about what happened, it’s about how you respond to it. Be positive!
- “I hate you.” – Harboring feelings of hate will only bring you down, not the other person. Forgive, forget and get rid of the negativity holding you back.
- “I can’t.” – Yes, you can! You can do anything you set your mind to. If at first you don’t succeed, try again.
- “I missed my chance.” – Nothing is ever permanent in this ever-changing world. It is never too late to become what you might have been.
- “Never mind; it’s not important.” – Speak up. What you have to say matters. You never know who is around that may need to hear it.
What words or phrases would you add to the list?
Note: “Fresh Ideas” are published each week by Countybank and its family of financial service companies. With financial centers in Greenville and Greenwood, Countybank has a team of highly engaged professionals ready to bring a full scope of financial solutions designed to help families and business owners reach their goals.