Great leadership doesn’t happen overnight. It takes experience—both successes and failures—to become a great leader. And it also takes a bit of advice.
1. Don’t micromanage. – Empower your team members, but have enough faith in them to take a step back. A good leader leads from front and back.
2. Show compassion to your team. – When employees make mistakes, don’t destroy them. Give them opportunities to learn and grow, and let them know you are on their side.
3. Encourage opposition. – Promote open communication in your company by providing your team with the comfort to speak openly and candidly with you.
4. Focus. – Concentrate on one goal and stick to it. In business, it is better to be really good at one thing than okay at five different things.
5. Be curious. – Everyone is a student in life, so keep your learning cap on. Go to networking events, attend TED talks and take classes. There is always more to experience and discover.
Note: “Fresh Ideas” are published each week by Countybank and its family of financial service companies. With financial centers in Greenville and Greenwood, Countybank has a team of highly engaged professionals ready to bring a full scope of financial solutions designed to help families and business owners reach their goals.