Having a successful business career is much easier when you have a solid work and home life balance. A positive home life leads to less stress and gives you much-needed strength for your workday. Here are five ways to better balance your work and home life for greater success in both:
1. Turn your phone off when you get home. – No excuses. When you are home, your attention should be on your home life. Whether that is pets, children, a spouse or all of the above, give them your attention and leave your work at the office.
2. Have a set dinnertime. – This can be hard for busy families, but it is also very important. Set a time for your entire family to come together for dinner. Ask questions about their days. Engage them, and don’t allow for distractions like cell phones or TV at the table.
3. Do chores. – Working leaves us all exhausted at the end of the day, but it doesn’t mean we should slack off at home. Do your part by helping your spouse with the daily chores. Whether it’s helping with dinner, cleaning the dishes or doing the laundry, let them know you are there to help and lighten their load.
4. Get involved with your children. – Whether it’s curling up with them at night to read them a bedtime story or coaching one of their sports’ teams, find a way to spend time with your kids. In business, you know building and maintaining relationships is key—start at home.
5. Take your spouse on dates. – Spending quality time with your significant other can sometimes get put on the backburner and replaced with more pressing matters. Try and make sure this doesn’t happen by scheduling weekly dates with your partner. Get out of the house and enjoy each other’s company without the hassle of cooking, cleaning or children.
It’s easy to let work and other responsibilities take over your life, but don’t forget about the important stuff—the good stuff. A happy home life can balance out a stressful work life, so take time each day to soak in and enjoy moments with the ones you love.
Note: “Fresh Ideas” are published each week by Countybank and its family of financial service companies. With financial centers in Greenville and Greenwood, Countybank has a team of highly engaged professionals ready to bring a full scope of financial solutions designed to help families and business owners reach their goals.