In a UCLA study, participants rated more than 500 adjectives based on their perceived significance to likeability. Surprisingly, the top-rated adjectives had nothing to do with innate characteristics like intelligence or attractiveness. Instead, the top adjectives were learned characteristics like sincerity, transparency and empathy.
Taken from this study, we put together the top five characteristics of a likeable person:
1. Good listener. – When committing to a conversation, you focus all of your energy on that conversation. You ask questions, are engaged and really care what the other person is saying.
2. Genuine. – You are comfortable in your own skin. You don’t attempt to win others over by making choices based on what will make them like you because you are a confident individual. People gravitate towards you because they know they can trust you.
3. Nonjudgmental. – You are open-minded, which makes you approachable. You are able to see the world through other people’s eyes. This doesn’t mean you condone others’ behaviors or believe what they believe. You simply set your beliefs aside as to better understand what it’s like to be in another person’s shoes.
4. Humble. – You are neither introverted nor extroverted. You are simply friendly and considerate to others. When you are given attention, you positively shift the attention to others. You know there is no I in team and always give credit where credit is due.
5. Uses positive body language. – You are cognizant of your gestures, expressions and tone of voice. You make eye contact, lean in when others are talking, don’t cross your arms and use an enthusiastic tone. Your movements draw others in.
Likeability is invaluable. And as an entrepreneur, practicing the above characteristics can help you network with ease, promote harmony within your workplace and bring out the best in others around you.
Note: “Fresh Ideas” are published each week by Countybank and its family of financial service companies. With financial centers in Greenville and Greenwood, Countybank has a team of highly engaged professionals ready to bring a full scope of financial solutions designed to help families and business owners reach their goals.