One of the key challenges in small business is generating publicity. Advertising can be effective, but it can be costly for many small companies. Fortunately, there are ways to gain attention and generate interest that don’t require an advanced marketing degree or massive budget.
Here are six tips to help you get started:
1) Build relationships with reporters. – At Help a Reporter Out and ProfNet, reporters seek out specialized information to use in articles. By contributing content, you’ll generate effective publicity while displaying your industry expertise.
2) Generate creative content. – Publish clever blogs, post interesting photos or share engaging videos on YouTube. These are all relatively easy ways to tell your story to a wider audience.
3) Share your expertise with community organizations. – Whether you speak at a Chamber of Commerce event, write an article for a trade publication or donate your services to a local charity, engage with your community in meaningful ways that showcase your expertise.
4) Be active on social media. – It’s not enough to have a Facebook account for your business. Interacting and communicating responsively with your audience is key. Building publicity through social media may take time, but it’s worth the effort to grow meaningful relationships with your supporters.
5) Cultivate relationships with bloggers. – Often overlooked in favor of traditional media, don’t forget to seek out bloggers. In today’s world, their voices can be even more prominent than local media, and they can be a significant source of publicity and support.
6) Focus your pitch. – When it comes to pitching stories, relevance is essential. Don’t send your story out to every media outlet you find. Instead, tailor your pitch and send it only to outlets whose audience matches the kind of people you’re trying to reach.
PR Strategies for Small Businesses
Note: “Fresh Ideas” are published each week by Countybank and its family of financial service companies. With financial centers in Greenville and Greenwood, Countybank has a team of highly engaged professionals ready to bring a full scope of financial solutions designed to help families and business owners reach their goals.